On 29 April 2020, the Family Court started operating the COVID-19 List to hear urgent matters that arise solely or substantially from the COVID-19 pandemic. The COVID-19 List is to fast track urgent cases.
Examples of urgent matters include:
- Parenting orders where the current parenting arrangements involve supervised contact and the contact centre is closed or the supervisor cannot perform their duties as a result of the COVID-19 restrictions;
- Where that are Allegations of Family Violence that have resulted from the COVID-19 pandemic; or
- Where one or both parties have contracted COVID-19 and cannot facilitate parenting arrangements.
To file in the COVID-19 List, you must file the necessary application together within an affidavit in support (of no more than 6 pages) setting out:
- The urgency of the matter;
- The dispute that has arisen due to the COVID-19;
- The steps that you have taken to try and resolved the matter or why the matter cannot be resolved by way of mediation.
The process can be very challenging for many people, with the effects of COVID-19.
If you need assistance to deal with your matter and want to know whether your matter can be listed for an urgent hearing in the COVID-19 List, please contact our team on 03 5536 9111.